Life is an Ocean
This city has tides. Storms come and worldly winds blow us around. If we are not careful, sometimes waves come and we can get swept into directions perhaps we never wanted to go. This can be just what we needed, and often makes us learn about new waters. I have decided to throw a message in a bottle out there. Staring here, with you.
In the coming months I will be blogging about a new project, PROJECT MUSE. I invite you to join in, in whatever way you like. PROJECT MUSE is all about inspiration. For me, I am sailing through a worldly wind which I never saw coming. I posted recently about the importance of Head, Heart and Hand energies. Vervology as a blog, is all about exploring artistic inspiration, whether that be of writers, painters, singers, scientists, poets, therapists, lovers, tattoo-artists, sculptors, bloggers or even secret Graffiti artists who double walk. You don’t have to already be doing any of these things now to join in. There is an artist in us all. Everyone has a novel in them. A poem. A doodle. I decided I would like to set up a scaffold, a framework, a grab-rail for supporting the Head, Heart & Hands energies. The wind beneath our sails. the one which can often get lost in to-do lists, in career dead-ends, in family dramas, in moves of house, in sickness, in cuts or financial depression. After all, if the artists job is to give inspiration, we need to keep the artist inspired.
The Essential Nine Creativity Vitamins
Just like sailors used to suck limes, we need to make sure we are nourishing our creativity. Are you deficient in Melpomene (The Muse of Theatre)? Perhaps you could do with a little extra Erato in your cultural diet (The Muse of Cinema), just like you had when you was a kid. Maybe you are taking way too much Thalia (The Muse of Comics and Manga) and not enough Calliope (The Muse of Literature and Poetry)… or vice versa!
This project involves imagination and the openness in the first instance, in order to step outside your comfort zone, and try new things. It will be split into 9 domains, based on the 9 Greek Muses from Greek Mythology. The project will consist of picking a Muse and thinking of ways to BE INSPIRED by this Muse. This should involve some commitment, perhaps the setting of resolutions. However the main idea is that the Project will then go on inspiring you into the future with little effort needed.
- Polymnia the Muse of painting (including drawing and photography)
- Clio the Muse of sculpture (including installation)
- Melpomene the Muse of theatre
- Urania the Muse of architecture
- Euterpe the Muse of music
- Terpsichore the Muse of dance
- Calliope the Muse of literature (Poetry, Books, Haikus)
- Erato the Muse of cinema (“moving images”, TV, video, YouTube!)
- Thalia the Muse of comics (and manga)
21st Century Muses
I have this sense that, using social media such as blogging, wordpress, twitter, facebook, Pintrest, Youtube or Etsy… it would be great to inspire others with the Projects we come up with. To celebrate progress and to reflect on failure even! So to get the ball rolling here are some ideas I hope to turn into Projects in the next few weeks.
- PROJECT MUSE: Polymnia. To get a list of Art galleries in London and ‘plug’ them into my diary, one new gallery a month. To take nothing but my camera for a walk and photograph only purple objects.
- PROJECT MUSE: Melpomene. Set aside a jar with which to put some money in to save for theatre tickets, £10 every payday. Perhaps think about how infrequent I go to the theatre versus how many times I order take away food.
- PROJECT MUSE: Euterpe. To take the last week of every month to listen to only new music, making a playlist of what I enjoyed and burning them for friends to see what they think too. Or even setting up playlists of Friends names and when I hear a song that friend might like, dropping it into their playlist, so that when I have 12 I can send it to them.
- PROJECT MUSE: Terpsichore. Finding some venues in the city which do not get full of blind drunk losers who spill drinks all down themselves. Heres a suggestion, actually having one night out which even doesn’t involve alcohol for once, and going to an actual dance floor.
I am on a roll! I am officially excited. I better save some for actual detailed blog posts which have some photos, tips and reflection – and most importantly how they inspired me.
Be creative and adventurous. Think outside the box. In a way, there are no rules. However don’t let the projects be ways to put off your own creativity. Simple daily things work best, and as little or as easy as you wish. Rather, to get all of your 9 essential vitamins. I would like to recommend that they could be SMARTER:
|S||Specific||Significant, stretching, simple|
|M||Measurable||Motivational, manageable, meaningful|
|A||Attainable||Appropriate, achievable, agreed, assignable, actionable, adjustable, ambitious, aligned, aspirational, acceptable, action-focused|
|R||Relevant||Result-based, results-oriented, resourced, resonant, realistic|
|T||Time-bound||Time-oriented, time framed, timed, time-based, timeboxed, time-specific, timetabled, time limited, trackable, tangible|
|E||Evaluate||Ethical, excitable, enjoyable, engaging, ecological|
|R||Reevaluate||Rewarded, reassess, revisit, recordable, rewarding, reaching|